Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximising our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is one of the leading CSOs in the Netherlands, based in The Hague, working in fragile contexts on Health, Resilience, Economic Opportunities, Humanitarian Aid and Security & Justice. Apart from our work abroad, we also contribute to new forms of job creation and social innovation in The Netherlands.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE, and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 30 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
For the Cordaid Country offices in Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Cordaid is looking for a Business Development Manager (BDM)
Cordaid has a long history working in DRC, a country affected by war and conflicts for decades.
Cordaid is currently working in the following sectors: Health, Education, Security & Justice, Economic Resilience and Humanitarian Aid. We have one main office in Kinshasa, and 5 other regional offices in Goma, Bukavu, Bunia, Gemena and Kananga. We are working in 24 out of the 26 provinces.
The Cordaid programme in Burundi covers Health, Security & Justice and Resilience. Specifically, our health programmes have a nationwide coverage. Cordaid is an important international actor and one of the INGO leaders in Burundi.
To develop the portfolio for Cordaid in Burundi and DRC, we are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager (BDM) with strong management and leadership capacities as well as a profound knowledge of the technical aspects of the job and excellent writing skills in French and English.
General objective of the posting
This BDM position supports Cordaid’ acquisition of resources from a wide range of donors, including World Bank, multi-lateral organisations, foundations, corporations, and other classical donors as well as a variety of emerging, non-traditional sources of funding.
As a member of both Countries Senior Management Team, the BDM will provide overall strategic direction, leadership, and management to ensure portfolio growth. Your leadership, management and knowledge will enable Cordaid Burundi/DRC to deliver high-quality proposal and prepositioning. The BDM will be responsible for network representation, Business Development strategy, fundraising, for both countries.
The BDM will support the agency’s positioning for and pursuit of institutional donor resources, with an emphasis on competitive funding mechanisms. S/he will provide business development expertise and leadership in the development of proposals to ensure the highest quality and competitiveness. S/he will contribute to and support internal learning processes that improve Cordaid’ business development practice and leverage innovative.
Business Development & Grant Acquisition
· The Business Development Manager will coordinate the process of developing and writing high-quality project proposals;
· Research, track and analyse new business opportunities, for DRC and Burundi;
Support senior management’s cultivation and strengthening of institutional relationships with donors, partner organisations, and other collaborators in the international relief/development arena;
· Lead all proposal development;
· Participate in all necessary internal processes and ensure adequate documentation is available prior relevant meetings;
· Work in liaison with the thematic leads, MEAL officers and Global Office on donor intelligence and community priorities/needs and positioning of Cordaid for emerging funding opportunities;
· Support and guide the identification of partners for all opportunities;
· Conduct donor mapping, identify potential allies/partners and competitors for funding opportunities in country;
· Contribute to bid management processes with technical writing of the proposal in accordance with donor requirements and Burundi and DRC’s Strategic Plans;
· Lead in the research process during the development of new proposals in coordination with related departments in order to ensure high-quality proposals which meet the requirements of donors;
· Ensure the follow up and review of the entire grant proposal development process, including conceptualisation, performing research, producing compelling content, make revisions and submission;
· Monitor the competitive landscape, assess and test new approaches, gather lessons learned and update the countries’ funding strategy.
· Develop priority donor account plans in line with the funding strategy and ensure participation of technical and programme teams in donor engagement fora;
· Support the process and provide direction in the development of individual donor relations by periodically inviting donors and potential donors to visit Cordaid programme areas to get first-hand information on activities and also to explore new opportunities that can be leveraged with the achievements of existing programmes;
· Monitor, research and carry out regular in-country donor strategy analysis and share findings with Programme Managers;
· Develop and maintain Past performance.
· Facilitate the training of senior managers in effective donor engagement;
· Document lessons learned and report findings during programme evaluation meetings; submit recommendations and suggestions to ensure that the best practices are adapted;
· Keep overview and manage the organisational pipeline opportunity system and account related database for both countries;
· Attend to other duties as and when directed by both Country Directors;
· These duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
· Master’s Degree in Development, International Relations, or relevant field preferred; equivalent experience acceptable;
· Minimum five years of international development experience, including at least two years in a developing country;
· Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French;
· Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and negotiation skills;
· Strong analytical skills;
· Knowledge in health, education and justice programmes preferred;
· Must be familiar with international donors’ rules, regulations and policies including -but not limited to- EU, UN agencies, World Bank, Global Fund;
· Ability to work long hours in stressful, insecure, unstable and/or rigorous environments;
· Ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships with internal colleagues and contacts in donor and peer organisation at country level;
· Excellent attention to details;
· Strong planning and time management skills, multi-task & adapt to frequent changing priorities;
· Commitment to the mission and goals of Cordaid programmes and the security policy;
· Ability and willingness to travel within Burundi and DRC as needed, up to 60% of job time.
Specifics of station
The BDM will be based in Kinshasa, Bujumbura or Goma. This is an accompanied position.
The contract period is for six months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance (if applicable).
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded on attn. of Mister Remco van der Veen before 2 April 2019.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Please note that we accept applications through our website only: https://www.cordaid.org/en/vacancies/international/?cd_job_id=126467