VHW organization description:
Village Health Works (VHW) was founded in 2006 in partnership with the community of Kigutu, Burundi. VHW has developed a holistic model that aims to improve local livelihoods and restore dignity and hope. VHW focuses first on treating and preventing illness through primary health care services and then integrates education, sustainable agriculture, and economic development programs. VHW’s extensive campus in Kigutu is nestled amongst lush mountains and overlooks beautiful Lake Tanganyika. With 400 full- and part-time employees in Burundi, as well as a small team in the United States, VHW delivers a wide-array of programs in a catchment area of 200,000 people.
The VHW Education Program addresses complex educational challenges to ensure an inclusive and quality education for students in Kigutu, Burundi. VHW delivers a range of programs and services to nearly 700 young people, from ECD to grade 12, in conjunction with the local primary and secondary school (the École Fondamentale and Post-Fondamentale). The VHW Education Program operates within a Memorandum of Understanding with the Ministry of Education in Burundi to implement the following initiatives: an ECD program (preschool) for 3-5 year olds; ongoing teacher professional development; provision of learning materials; infrastructure support, including the construction of a new school building in 2018 that serves grades 1-12; school-based health interventions; ongoing parent and community engagement and more. VHW programs, implemented in close collaboration with community members and school officials, have led to dramatic improvements in learning and health outcomes.
Looking forward, VHW seeks to continue to improve the quality of education in Kigutu through the provision of impactful programs and services, while also extending its reach across Burundi. VHW is establishing the Kigutu International Academy (KIA), a grade 7-12 boarding school for young people from across Burundi that will develop core academic skills as well as 21st century competencies, including entrepreneurship and leadership. VHW also plans to launch the Teacher Leadership Institute (TLI) that will provide innovative professional development to educators from across Burundi using KIA and the local Kigutu school as powerful models for quality teaching and learning**.** KIA and the TLI will work closely with the VHW Education Program by piloting curriculum and supporting teacher training at the local Kigutu school.
VHW seeks a skilled and experienced Education Program Manager to lead the planning, delivery and oversight of its education programs and services at the local primary and secondary school in Kigutu. These programs currently include an ECD program, school feeding program, after-school and girls’ empowerment programs, ongoing teacher training efforts, parent engagement, infrastructure improvements, and the provision of classroom materials. S/he will lead program development, implementation, quality assurance and monitoring, evaluation, and learning. S/he will collaborate closely with administrators at the Kigutu school to ensure that programs and services meet the teaching and learning goals for students from early childhood through grade 12. The Program Manager will also work closely with senior VHW staff members in Kigutu to ensure quality programming across the organization and to foster collaboration across program areas. The Education Program Manager will also coordinate with the Kigutu International Academy around teacher training and piloting new curriculum. This position is full-time and based in Kigutu, Burundi.
Program Strategy and Management
- Provide technical leadership and strategic guidance around evidence-based education interventions including continuous teacher professional development, school leadership capacity building, remedial and accelerated education programming, school based health interventions and other student support services.
- Supervise the education team and provide capacity building in relevant technical areas. Contribute to the recruitment process of program staff, and complete periodic performance evaluations.
Financial Planning and Compliance
- Develop the Education Program budget in coordination with the Director of Finance, CFO and other VHW senior leaders.
- Oversee the Education Program budget, expenditures, auditing, and compliance matters. Ensure timely preparation and submission of all financial reports.
- Monitor financial and material resources to meet project needs and ensure timely procurement of goods and services.
- Support the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Team and provide technical input on the development of effective and relevant monitoring and evaluation systems and tools, including data collection, analysis and feedback to understand and improve program strategy.
- Oversee education research efforts, ensuring that key findings and implications for program design are presented to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure collaboration and coordination with Ministry of Education officials, donors, and other key stakeholders.
- Develop and disseminate communications materials to donors, partners, and other stakeholders. Provide technical support to proposal and concept note development.
- Generate reports on activities, accomplishments, and results through monthly, quarterly, and annual reports. Prepare and submit various project documents, reports, and deliverables in conjunction with the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator.
- Minimum eight years’ experience in Education Program Management with experience implementing education projects within an emergency and/or development context
- Demonstrated experience in education, including teaching and teacher professional development, curriculum development, girls’ education, early childhood development, school-based health interventions, and education in emergencies
- Master’s degree in International Development, Education, Pedagogy, Social Science, Development Studies, or related field
- Experience developing project monitoring and evaluation frameworks and tools
- Proven budget planning and expenditures monitoring
- Excellent technical writing skills
- Full professional fluency in oral and written English is required; working proficiency in French highly desirable
- Interest in serving vulnerable populations and commitment to social justice
- Ability to create and nurture effective working relationships in a culturally diverse team
- Prior experience working in developing countries, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ability to work effectively in a rural area.
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience