Help a Child is a Christian, international relief and development organization, founded in 1968 in the Netherlands and operating in Burundi since 2009. Help a Child provides a future for children in need, their family and their entire community. By empowering vulnerable communities, we help them to change their own living conditions and opportunities in a sustainable way. Help a Child works in areas with a high incidence of poverty or in places where children and families are extra vulnerable due to disasters or (imminent) conflicts. Help a Child develops innovative programs, for example about youth & work, child development and the transition of relief help towards sustainable development. We work together with various Dutch, international and local partners. Help a Child works across India, Kenya, Ethiopia, Malawi, Burundi, Rwanda, DRC, Uganda and South Sudan.
The Programme Manager (PM) will be a critical member of the senior management team of HaC Burundi and responsible for the operational success of HaC’s country programme, overseeing the successful implementation of the “Building Bridges in Burundi (BBB) Programme”, financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the Addressing Root Causes fund (ARC). The BBB Programme is a 5 year collaboration between HaC (Red een Kind) and 3 other International Organisations: American Friends Service Committee (ASFC), Cord and Mensen met een Missie (MMM).The PM is responsible for overseeing all day-to-day activities of the programme and for keeping a birds-eye view of the programme operations. This includes ensuring seamless team management and development, programme delivery, and quality control and evaluation. The PM will coordinate and facilitate the work of the BBB Programme, ensuring the integrated holistic approach in programme implementation among consortium partners in the achievements of programme outcomes. The PM will play a key role in resource mobilisation and will support the Country Programme Director (CPD) in fundraising. Together with the CPD, the PM will be the key external representative of HaC in the community and in relationship with other stakeholders. The PM report to the CPD and works with several HaC experts at the International Office in the Netherlands.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure that the BBB Programme annual plan (both narrative and budget) is developed and executed in consultation with the consortium partners.
- Responsible for further development and successful implementation of the HaC Burundi programme and especially the BBB Programme in close dialogue with the consortium partners, Ministry of Youth and other partners including local and international.
- Actively involved in resource mobilisation including institutional fundraising (proposal development), private and individual donations.
- Collaborate with partners, donor and stakeholder representatives, building and maintaining productive relationships.
- Coordinate the interaction and flow of internal and external communication between the International Office and the HaC Burundi office at programme level, as well as coordination with partners and other consortium members.
- For the BBB Programme serve as the primary focal point to the Dutch Embassy in Bujumbura.
- Represent HaC at key international and national events as appropriate.
- Manage the programme team in Bujumbura within the management structure of the programme (annual planning, coordination, financial and operational monitoring, risk management, etc.) that strengthens the existing work done by partners; develop approaches to make any new connections necessary to realize the goals of the programme.
- Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements across all sites, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees.
- Coordinate and handle the internal and external communications strategy and plan of the BBB Programme.
- Ensure that both internal and external program evaluations are conducted on time and based on donor and HaC requirements.
- Manage sub-grants offered to local implementing partners and consortium partners according to donor and HaC requirements.
- Participate actively in sharing knowledge and lessons learnt.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with solid programme management experience. The successful candidate will lead programmes, partner with the consortium members of the BBB Programme and be challenged to enlarge the HaC Burundi portfolio through successful fundraising. Specific requirements include:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Development studies, Community Development, Social sciences, Economics, Project Management or any another related field.
- At least 7 years of experience with community development, of which 4 in a managing or coordinating role in an international organisation.
- Experience in resource mobilisation (proposal development, individual and private fundraising experience).
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating programme models.
- Experienced selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in building personal and professional networks.
- Ability to facilitate dynamic group processes and to optimise the use of expertise from programme partners for capacity building and project outcomes.
- Strong project management skills in managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and programme growth.
- Experience recruiting, managing, developing, coaching and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance.
- Experience working in a fragile context.
- Experience in working with a Theory of Change as framework.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details.
- Strong command of the English language. Command of French is an added advantage.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Being a Christian adhering to the Christian identity of HaC.
- Full support for the vision and mission of HaC.
HaC offers the opportunity to become part of an ambitious, child centred and Christian international NGO with a dedicated team of professionals motivated to maximize impact. HaC offers a fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered a fixed term contract for the first year with a probation period of 3 months. Depending on your performance and fit with the programme and staff involved, this first year contract will be extended for another 2 years.
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) at the latest on April 22nd, 2019 to email@example.com. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of HaC, being a child centred and Christian organization. An (e-) assessment will be part of the selection process. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please contact Mr. Clement Nkubizi, Country Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help a Child expects its staff to behave with integrity; to do no harm and to carefully take into account the rights and interests of others. All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Help a Child’s Code of Conduct and recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks